1. What if I change from landline to VOIP or Digital Phone?
We encourage you to check with us before making any changes to your existing telephone service. It is important that If you have already switched to VoIP or digital phone service, it is extremely important that you contact us now. We will arrange a service call to do all possible to check the wiring and test your system. However, still this does not mean that your VoIP or digital phone service will transmit alarm signals at a 100% success rate. For these phone services are highly dependent on other factors such as internet traffic, internet hops, lag time and other concerns which could garble or drop your alarm signals resulting in no communication to the monitoring station.
List of VOIP Service and not limited to:
- Vonage – Per Vonage website’s FAQ page, it clearly states: “At this time, Vonage doesn’t work with home alarm systems.” (http://www.vonage.com/how_vonage_works_faq/)
- iTalkBB – Per iTalkBB Terms of Conditions page, under Incompatibility with Other Devices, it clearly states: “You acknowledge that iTalk Service may not be compatible with all non-voice communications equipment, including without limitation, home security systems…” (http://www.italkbb.com/BB/enu/enu_terms.asp)
- Ooma - Per Ooma Support page, it clearly states: “Alarm systems are not supported on Ooma devices. Ooma recommends that you that you maintain a basic landline (with no features or long distance plan) for the purposes of your alarm system or move to a cellular-based alarm panel.” (http://www.ooma.com/app/support/advanced-setup#anchor-0)
- Clear (Similiar to the above devices, will not be compatible with ANY alarm panels out there)
- Magic Jack I & II (Similiar to the above devices, will not be compatible with ANY alarm panels out there)
List of Digital Phone Services and not limited to:
- AT&T Uverse
- Verizon Fios
- Time Warner Cable Phone
- Charter Cable Phone
2. What happens if I no longer have a phone line?
- Option 1: Install a Radio Cellular Back-up device. The advantage of having a radio device is that it provides a highly reliable primary communication path – ensuring that signals get through.
- Option 2: Upgrade to an IP Panel that will require to use your internet connection. (Please call to inquire if your existing device is compatible for an upgrade)